Louisiana offers online voter registration. You can register by mail to vote in Louisiana by printing a voter registration form, filling it out, and mailing it to your local election office. You can also register to vote in person if you prefer.
Who can vote
You have to register to vote before Election Day in Louisiana.
To register in Louisiana you must:
To register in Louisiana you must:
- be a U.S. citizen;
- be 17 years old (16 years old if registering in person at the Registrar of Voters Office or at the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles), but must be 18 years old to vote;
- not be under an order of imprisonment for conviction of a felony or, if under such an order not have been incarcerated pursuant to the order within the last five years and not be under an order of imprisonment related to a felony conviction for election fraud or any other election offense pursuant to La. R.S. 18:1461.2;
- not be under a judgment of full interdiction for mental incompetence or partial interdiction with suspension of voting rights;
- reside in the state and parish in which you seek to register; and
- must be registered at least 20 days prior to an election if registering through our GeauxVote Online Registration System with a Louisiana driver's license or Louisiana special ID card or 30 days prior to an election if registering in person or by mail to be eligible to vote in that particular election. If mailing in an application, the application or envelope must be postmarked 30 days prior to the first election in which you seek to vote.
- You can find more information on voting rights restoration here
Online voter registration
- Louisiana offers online voter registration.
- You should know: you need a Louisiana driver's license or Louisiana special ID card to use Louisiana's online voter registration system. If you don't have a Louisiana-issued ID, you can still register by mail to vote.
By-mail voter registration
Use the Louisiana voter registration form
You can register to vote using the Louisiana voter registration form. Be sure to read the instructions carefully and fill it out completely. Send the completed form to your local election office.
Use the National Voter Registration Form
- Print and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: You must provide your Louisiana driver's license number or Louisiana special ID card number, if issued. If not issued, you must provide at least the last 4 digits of your Social Security number (SSN), if issued. The full SSN may be provided on a voluntary basis. If the applicant has neither a Louisiana driver's license, a Louisiana special ID card, or a SSN, the applicant shall attach one of the following items to his application: (a) a copy of a current and valid photo ID; or (b) a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of applicant. Neither the registrar nor the Department of State shall disclose the SSN of a registered voter or circulate the SSNs of registered voters on commercial lists (R.S. 18:104 and 154; 42 U.S.C. Sec. 405).
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: Louisiana does NOT require that you register with a party to participate in local, state, or congressional primary elections. However, unaffiliated voters cannot participate in presidential primary elections or elections for party committee members.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Completing this box is optional.
- Review the "Who can vote?" section above and check that you're eligible.
- Sign the form.
- Send the completed form to your local election office
- If you are registering to vote for the first time in your jurisdiction and are mailing this registration application, Federal law requires you to show proof of identification the first time you vote. Proof of identification includes: A current and valid photo identification or A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address. More information here.
In-person voter registration
Due to COVID-19, in-person services may have limited availability. Contact your local election office to confirm. See CDC guidance on safe in-person registration and voting.
Election Day registration
Louisiana does not offer registration on Election Day.
Get step-by-step help
If you’d like more help planning how to register, TurboVote can walk you through the process! They can also help you start the absentee/mail-in ballot request process, send you election reminders, and more.
Military and overseas voters
Active-duty military, their families, and overseas citizens can register to vote and request their absentee ballot using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). The FPCA process is done by mail, but your state may offer other options to request and return ballots. Please contact your election official for more information about delivery and return methods, including email, fax, and state online portals. To follow the FPCA process:
- Fill out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), or download a copy. Your election official may have questions, so please provide an email address or phone number where they can reach you.
- Send the application to your election official.
- It is never too early to submit an FPCA! Please do so as soon as possible. .
- Please fill out and send back your ballot as soon as you receive it.
- States begin mailing absentee ballots at least 45 days before Election Day. If you haven't received your ballot by 30 days before Election Day, contact your local election office.
If after submitting your FPCA, your ballot does not arrive, contact your election official first. Then:
- You can still vote using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). Print, sign, and mail your FWAB to your local election office.
- If you mail a FWAB and then receive your regular absentee ballot, you should complete and mail your absentee ballot also. Election officials will ensure that only one ballot is counted.The Federal Voting Assistance Program
Check your voter registration status
Election contact information for Louisiana
Do you have feedback on the content you see here? From an incorrect date to insight on a rule change, we’d love to hear from you! Please fill out this form to share with us. Thank you!